Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Flower arranging with hibiscus and bouganvillae

When I wan styling my first book, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen, my photographer suggested that I include bright pink bougainvilleas in a tablescape for the Hyderabadi chapter. I flat right refused to use bougainvilleas in my flower arrangements saying that they are not the right flowers to go into any flower arrangements and it has paper-y look (I'll admit, I was being a floral snob). Since then I was thinking that maybe I should have taken his suggestion to bring the bright bold culture of the city of Hyderabad. 

Last year I attended a friend's wedding party, where a  well known florist used purple bougainvilleas in the arrangements along with roses. You can see the arrangements here.
This morning while I was walking in my garden, I plucked some bright pink bougainvilleas and salmon colored double hibiscus that I arranged in a teal pitcher. I liked how the bright salmon colored hibiscus and pink bougainvilleas are working in that vase. I used only one David Austin rose called Boscobel. The salmon colored hibiscus and rose are almost the same color. I harvested some coleus and filler flowers to compliment the flowers.

 After all these years, I gave in and used bougainvilleas in my arrangements. I feel sorry that I didn't use it sooner.











For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes),please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply Indian at my website komalinunna.com.

Sharing at:
Wow us Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment