Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Buried in tomatoes

This is a very busy time for harvesting in my kitchen garden. Almost everything is yielding with a vengeance. This year, my tomatoes are going bonkers, yielding a lot more than ever before in my kitchen garden. This the harvest from one raised bed with 7 plants. I attribute my my success to my homemade compost with chicken manure. Now I know that adding  a chicken coop was the right decision for my backyard farming.

This is one harvest
 hom





I like to harvest vine ripened tomatoes on these large shallow baskets to protect them from bruising





Isn't it a shame not to indulge in a caprese salad after such a huge tomato harvest?



I know what I am doing next couple of days, canning and making tomato pickle. I  like to preserve my kitchen garden harvest as much as possible for the rest of year to enjoy and appreciate homegrown goodness.

For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes),please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply Indian at my website komalinunna.com.

Sharing at:

6 comments:

  1. Tomato overload!!! Great harvest. The caprese salad looks delicious, nothing beats home grown. Enjoy your harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I saw your link at WOW and I had to click over! I have been drowning in tomatoes this summer, too. We've had the best harvest this year, too, which has kept me in the kitchen preserving all that goodness! I really like those shallow baskets that you use for your tomatoes. We use buckets but it leads to a few tomatoes on the bottom getting bruised. Nice to meet another tomato lover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowza! just seven plants. I am not a gardner at all but love and have been following your blog for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a tomato frenzy! I make salsa and spaghetti sauce and can it for the winter too!
    Have fun!
    Enjoy many caprese salads too!😀
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I'd be making some tomato sauce for pasta, and at least one tomato pie. Plus I think a tomato sandwich for lunch today is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home made compost recipe please.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete